Chair: Captain Martin Smith
Vice Chair: Vacant
AusALPA monitors Air Traffic Management (ATM) developments through its ATS Portfolio. The representatives of the Portfolio aim to meet twice yearly and actively represent the Association at various forums within Australia and overseas on the International Federation of Airline Pilots’ Association’s (IFALPA) ATS Standing Committee, participating as subject matter experts.
AusALPA is a Permanent Observer on the Federal Government’s Australian Strategic Air Traffic Management Group (ASTRA) Council. The Association actively participates in a number of Working Groups such as Future ATM Requirements, Surveillance Technologies and Performance Based Navigation.
The Association is a member of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority’s (CASA) Airspace and Infrastructure Users Group Sub-Committee and is involved in the development of a number of Civil Aviation Safety Regulation (CASR) Parts as well as other regulatory change projects.
Additionally, AusALPA meets regularly with the Bureau of Meteorology, Airservices Australia and is an active member of the IFALPA ATS Committee, which in turn influences ATM standards and practices at the highest international level – the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).
Terms of Reference
- To review regulatory change proposals, prepare submissions and develop policy concerning all aspects of communication, navigation, surveillance and air traffic management (CNS/ATM) operations performed by air traffic service providers;
- To review regulatory change proposals, prepare submissions and develop policy dealing with the provision of meteorological information for aeroplanes and with the provision and operation of Search and Rescue services;
- To provide expert advice on air traffic, meteorological and search and rescue issues upon the request of the Board, other Portfolios and interested external parties; and
- To contribute to the development of relevant IFALPA policies, which in turn influence ICAO Standards, Recommended Practices, and associated guidance material.
The ATS Portfolio provides oversight on the following IFALPA/ICAO documents ensuring that the additions and proposed amendments are harmonized and ensure global interoperability:
- Annex 2, Rules of the Air;
- Annex 3, Meteorology;
- Annex 4, Aeronautical Charts for Use by the Pilot;
- Annex 5, Units of Measurement;
- Annex 10, Communications;
- Annex 11, Air Traffic Services;
- Annex 12, Search and Rescue;
- Annex 15, Aeronautical Information Services; and
- PANS ATM.
The mission of the ATS Portfolio is to improve Australian and international aviation safety, to promote a single level of safety to the highest standards possible, applying the professional experience and expertise of the representatives of the Portfolio, develop domestic and global harmonized policies and positions and to promote the adoption of such policies by the Australian Government and international bodies.